« Apple by the teacher | Main | Me and my shadow »

-- 23 August, 2004 --

EDM Challenge #1 - Oily walking boots

boots.JPG

I am besotted with van Gogh so when I pull these boots out to act as my models for my Arts Centre lesson, I can pretend that I might one day grow up to become a mad suicidal genius. This time I painted them using oil pastels - a variety of brands - on Canson Mi-Teintes paper in a sort of sandy colour. Not sure of the dimensions but the sheet is larger than A4. I thought that I should have done some sort of background or shadow to try to ground the boots on the paper but the teacher said to just leave it. She felt that they are sitting on the page fine as they are. Whatever, I am quite pleased with this finished product.

Posted by robynls at August 23, 2004 11:32 PM

Comments

Those boots were made for walking! They have a lot of character, what I like best is the fact that the boot in the background is not as sharp as the former thereby giving a good sense of depth and perspective.

Posted by: Detlef at August 24, 2004 9:24 AM

Thanks for taking the time to look at my current painting and commenting so kindly. For a change I actually DID mean to make the toppled boot less defined than the front one for just the reason that you meantioned. This must mean that I am learning something and conveying something of what I see.

Posted by: Robyn at August 24, 2004 3:08 PM

LOVE the boots, particularly the placement on the support.

Posted by: Julianna at August 25, 2004 7:22 AM

Great look with the oil pastels, Robyn. It's been years since I've tried using them - no, make that decades! You really do know how to use them to create wonderful texture and color.

Posted by: Karen Winters at February 11, 2005 1:37 PM

Nice, Robyn! (I got here from everydaymatters, where I'm a new lurker...)

Posted by: John Bailey at February 12, 2005 2:34 AM

Just came across your page. What an interesting idea for the web. I am motivated to have an EDM sketchbook for myself. I often want to draw something, but find it difficult to get started. Lots of books get so 'cliche' about choices. If I can improve my drawing, hope my painting will improve too!

Posted by: ginny at July 17, 2008 5:50 AM