« Yum cha experiences | Main | Different natives »

-- 08 December, 2004 --

Summer birds

galah2.jpg My walk took me through a shaded section of the bushland park near home this morning. I was later than usual and the day had already warmed to make walking a sweaty business so this cool space under the trees was a welcome break to me as it is to the birds.

Galahs are not as relaxed in human company as kookaburras or cockatoos which makes taking photographs a stealthy business. They don't allow anyone within a radius of 4 or 5 metres. A telephoto lens is a must. As I approached my crossing place, they flew up into the small gum trees that provide the shade and sat there, watching suspiciously, waiting for me to move on.

The birds search for small seeds among the grass and pebbles along the edge of the creek, which is very low due to the current drought. There are small puddles of water between the flat sandstone slabs that litter the creek bed and the birds flit between the stony ground and the puddles.

Posted by robynls at December 8, 2004 11:11 AM

Comments

All the timid ones must've flocked to Sydney, down here in Canberra they are very brazen, congregate in flocks of about 50, and have very little fear (although I agree that once you get within 4 or 5 metres they scarper). We also get gangs of white cockatoos, who must be on the move because they've been less prevalent over the past few weeks.

Posted by: Detlef at December 8, 2004 11:51 AM

We get the white cockatoos here too and they are much friendlier than the galahs. I posted a photograph of one that came to visit on an ealier entry, which you can see here.

Posted by: Robyn at December 8, 2004 5:34 PM

Your photos are lovely, Robyn. Living in the UK it's great to see Australian birds on the web and to discover how they behave in the wild - there are cockatoos within half a mile of where I live but poor things are kept in an albeit large cage at the local pet shop. Much better to see them free.
Thank you for sharing.

Posted by: Linda at December 8, 2004 6:48 PM

hi robyn, this is ian from the everydaymatters egroup =) it must be nice living in an area that has such beautiful wildlife. i'm from the philippines and i live in the city and i'd be lucky to see any interesting creatures on my walks. =) nice pics!

Posted by: u l a n at December 8, 2004 8:38 PM

Your bird pictures are lovely. I have an australian friend who posted pic of her friends ophaned kangroo babies- it was wonderful. I really enjoy nature pic. Linda in Indiana, USA

Posted by: Linda at December 9, 2004 12:45 AM

As an Aussie now living in Los Angeles, I loved looking at your bird photos. My favourite creature is the kookaburra :-)

Posted by: Hashi at December 9, 2004 3:09 AM