« Beck Hole, North Yorkshire | Main | Ely revisited »

-- 15 February, 2005 --

York Cathedral

Yorkcath1.jpg
This picture shows why I love to visit the cathedrals in England. They have some of the most beautiful architecture and decoration of any building that I have ever seen. Her is the ceiling decoration on the ceiling of the crossing, which is where the nave meets the trancept. It is one of the most individual feature of each cathedral. Some are plain but most are stunningly beautiful, like York.

Yorkcath3.jpgThe chapter house is a large room where the governing body of the cathedral meets. Often this room is a many sided circle, with individual seats around the wall for the members of the chapter. Some a richly decorated with carvings and York is no exception. It is said that many of the carvings in these buildings are portraits if the building workers and their families. They are images of people who have been dead for a thousand years. This carving shows a married couple.
For each of the cathedrals that I 'collect', I stand by the west door and take a photograph looking down the nave. From here it is possible to see the east window, the choir, the crossing and the wonderful light flowing in through the high windows along the nave. It makes the whole building glow, even in a late winter's afternoon.Yorkcath2.jpg

Posted by robynls at February 15, 2005 9:08 PM

Comments

that's a lovely shot of the ceiling. =)

Posted by: u l a n at February 15, 2005 10:06 PM

Robyn,
You're in Beck Hole? I am so green with envy. You must remember, that North Yorkshire is my favourite place in the world! We've seen York and the cathedral, as well. It's magic! And the story about it's fire and renovation is incredible, as well. God willing, in another 15 months, we will be there again!

Posted by: Bex at February 15, 2005 10:25 PM

I love cathedrals and you've done a wonderful job in photographing this one.

Posted by: mz. em at February 16, 2005 3:52 PM

I love that picture you took from the back of the cathedral, its wonderful. Almost inspiring (awe-spiring). Positively beautiful.

Posted by: tara at February 18, 2005 3:59 PM

Robyn - next time go further north and east - you'll find Northumbria and it will steal your heart away :) Betwixt Berwick on Tweed and Newcastle are heartbreaking beaches and castles.
Your pix are lovely - many happy memories of a lot of places you shared.

Posted by: elaine at February 19, 2005 12:48 AM