« PF 'Tiny' Challenge | Main | EM Jewelry Challenge »

-- 27 March, 2005 --

IF 'Crowded' Challenge - An Australian Autumn day

crowded.gif
"Crowded"
Olympus C750 AutoZoom
manipulated using Adobe Photoshop Elements

Sydney's other name - the Emerald City - could well have been derived from the colour of the grass of the Sydney Cricket Ground rather than the waters of the harbour, both deep and glowing in the sunlight. The sky looks as though it has been flooded with the pure cyan from a digital artist's palette and smeared with the thinnest white for clouds.

From a couple of rows behind us in the crowd a man is calling out the scores from a cricket match that is being played somewhere in New Zealand which he is listening to on his little radio. In the row in front of us a mother is slathering sun screen lotion on the faces and arms and ears of her little boy and girl as her husband reads the team lists for the game that we were here to watch. Everyone is adjusting their caps against the glare of the bright sunshine.

At precisely 1:10pm, with the players in position, the central umpire takes his place in the middle of the ground. He bounces the ball and the game is underway.

The football season has begun.

Posted by robynls at March 27, 2005 5:37 PM

Comments

What a great photograph, and you've done an interesting job of manipulating it. I must work harder on learning Photoshop!

Posted by: Nancy at March 27, 2005 11:37 PM

i really need to invest in photoshop...it's incredible what you've done with this!

Posted by: Kerry at March 28, 2005 4:41 AM

Very cool photo, love the effects you've used.

Posted by: Pseudo at March 28, 2005 6:30 AM

I thought Sydney's other name was "Sin City"...I know I always find myself heading, amongst other places, to Randwick racecourse when I'm in town. Ah the footy, go Richmond Tigers!!! (yes when I watch 'em I suffer similar vision to the effect of your photo, all those losses in a row ahhhh).

Posted by: Detlef at March 28, 2005 7:22 AM

Although Australian, I have never been to a cricket ground nor watched a football game. One of the reasons is they are crowded. Thank you for expanding my vision by writing your description about your day, and posting an image that arouses a unique way of viewing a football game. Love the caps!

Posted by: Anonymous at March 28, 2005 8:29 AM

Oh! you are a sad man, Detlef :-) As you can see from the colours of the caps, which are freebies to club members, we are Sydney Swans fans though and through (we had a win!). I, on the other hand, have never been to Randwick Racecourse in all of the %# years I have lived in Sydney. It takes all kinds ...

Posted by: Robyn [TypeKey Profile Page] at March 28, 2005 10:13 AM

WOW! As others have already said, I wouldn't have guessed what this was without your explanation. It just goes to show how much abstract expressionism exists in realism...a tweak here and an effect there. WOW!

Posted by: Mick Mather at March 31, 2005 2:27 PM