« EM Teacup Challenge | Main | An eye on London »

-- 12 March, 2005 --

As I was going to St Ives

St Ives.jpg

It has been a few days since I posted any reminiscences of our holiday. Since then I have made a new e-friend, Blue, who has the enormous good fortune to live in St Ives in Cornwall.

The Poet and I have enjoyed a day in St Ives each time that we have visited Cornwall. He came here years ago and bought a painting by the St Ives artist, Keith English. It hangs on the wall of our family room to serve as a reminder of our times here. The Poet has visited Keith English's studio on our last couple of visits.

I imagine that St Ives in the summer is wall to wall tourists but in the winter it is not very busy. Many of the shopkeepers take the opportunity to have a holiday so lots of the shops are closed. The main street is very narrow and paved with cobblestones. Normal traffic is not allowed to drive down it but it is still a good idea to be cautious as delivery vans use it and there is not much space to let them pass. A handy doorway makes a good bolthole at these moments.

Fortunately the pubs are still trading and the one just out of of this photograph provides a great lunch of crab cakes with chips and a crisp salad. The bread rolls are fresh and crusty and the cider is cold.

Posted by robynls at March 12, 2005 5:55 PM

Comments

Just to add to your suffering Robyn, I'm off into town [St. Ives] now, for lunch at the Tate. Highly recommended - great food, stunning views, and a particularly excellent show of Willhemena Barnes-Graham, Callum Innes paintings right now. What more could you wish for? The sun is out, the sea is soooooo turquoise, and I wouldn't swap it for the world! I'll give a thought to you when I stroll up Fore Street[in your photo] after lunch.

Have a good weekend.

Posted by: Blue at March 12, 2005 9:39 PM

Robyn, I'm soooooo missing England, and the pubs with their great "pub lunches", the "chips", the cheese, the fish-n-chips, (we don't drink but I'd miss the pints if I did!), and the spectacular-ness of it all. Someday we'll get down to "your Cornwall" - someday.....

Posted by: Bex at March 12, 2005 9:40 PM

I was totally unfamiliar with this artist. Well in fact most artists. But I thank you for the link. I'd love to have his 'The Guardian' or several others. :-)

I'd also like to walk a cobblestone street. Never have.

Posted by: Bonnie at March 12, 2005 10:48 PM

robyn, I have read through your blog and am a total mess!! I am
sitting here in a mix of being green with envy and having the
nostalgia trip of a lifetime when you mentioned st. ives.

If you read thru my blog you will see a whole post devoted to my
love affair with st. ives and with a cornish man who once lived
there.....oh I am off now to look and reminisce through my photos!!I
spent many many hours at the Lifeboat pub I wonder if its still
there and the Sloop Inn. I wish I couold go back there and just soak
up the art...tate gallery, and all those wonderful local artists!!
please write more about st. ives!!

Posted by: krissie at March 14, 2005 1:29 PM

are you going to plymoouth - if so then you MUST stop by the robert lenkiewicz gallery - been there - its quite fascinating. The artist died a few years ago - but he was a local legend!

Posted by: krissie at March 14, 2005 1:31 PM