« IF 'Crowded' Challenge - An Australian Autumn day | Main | IF 'Travel' Challenge »

-- 28 March, 2005 --

EM Jewelry Challenge

earrings.jpg
"Silver Dragonflies"
Lead pencil and watercolour pencil
on 300g sketch paper

In December I was walking each morning to enjoy the bushland park near where we live. My walk took me across a foot bridge over the small creek that meanders through the park. It was my habit to stop on the bridge for a while and watch the insects flitting over the water of the creek. One morning, after my walk, I drew one of the dragonflies that I saw at the bridge.

During our stay in London, a few weeks later, The Poet and I visited Southwark Cathedral. In the gift shop at the cathedral The Poet found these silver and enamel earrings. He bought them for me because they reminded him of the drawing that I had made of the real dragonfly

This week's Everyday Matters drawing challenge is to sketch 'your watch or a piece of jewelry' so here it is. This is my response.

Posted by robynls at March 28, 2005 8:46 PM

Comments

Ah, dragonflies - I love 'em, and they bring long life, no? Wonderful drawing, Robyn.

Posted by: Bex at March 28, 2005 9:39 PM

Dragonflies fascinate me. Nothing but silence as they fly near. While I love hummingbirds I can hear their squeals and even their wings sometimes. But dragonflies... :-)

Posted by: Bonnie at March 29, 2005 1:01 AM

Your ear rings look very delicate. They are beautiful.

Posted by: shelly mcc at March 29, 2005 9:57 AM

How pretty!

Posted by: Nancy at March 29, 2005 2:41 PM

Lovely. Even the ear part seems to me to be a natural extension of the dragonfly in your drawing. It is also helpful to me to know what you used to get your effects. Thanks.

Posted by: Barbara G. at March 29, 2005 3:57 PM

I love dragonflies... they're so incredibly delicate. I really like the way you've caught the curved wings, as if they're ready to take off.

Posted by: Pseudo at March 29, 2005 4:05 PM

I love these earrings... these are beautiful. I love to pick up jewelry on trips as a reminder of the time and place. I haven't done this week's challenge... maybe I'll take your lead and draw something I got on a trip - maybe that will inspire me to get it done!

Posted by: Patsy at March 29, 2005 4:32 PM

Robyn, you obviously have an affinity for flying creatures! These are beautifully drawn--I love the composition, with the two curved pieces leaning gracefully to the center of the drawing.
Laura
www.laurelines.typepad.com

Posted by: Laura F at March 29, 2005 10:47 PM

Dragonflies are a symbol of the sense of self that comes with maturity.
also a symbol of inner change - but apart from that I LOVE those earrings robyn! Great sketch. I've been so busy lately that I havent had time to do this challenge - yet!

Posted by: krissie at March 29, 2005 11:31 PM

Hey Robyn,
I read your post on comment netiquette and I thought "Hint Hint." I've actually been trying to do a lot of practicing with pen only, and I've had surprisingly good results so far. I wish I knew how to do stuff using Illustrator or Photoshop though...

Posted by: Carolyn at March 31, 2005 3:33 AM

Very pretty, they look like they could fly away.

Posted by: Janey at April 1, 2005 8:48 AM

I think I caught some trout once with something that looked like these.

Posted by: Jim at April 2, 2005 12:42 AM

Wow, your work depicting your ear rings is truly outstanding. I love dragonflies and draw them all the time but never as great as yours!

Really rich and elegant - they are!

Posted by: patty at April 2, 2005 2:55 AM

Robyn, these are so lovely! So much detail and so delicate. Dragonflies are such wonderful healing symbols, aren't they?

Posted by: kymberlee at April 3, 2005 12:58 AM

Hi,

I've been looking for a drawing of a dragonfly to digitize for embroidering on a purse I'm making for a good friend. The drawing I found here is so lovely and I would like to ask permission to use it. I will not use it for anything except this one gift for my dragonfly-loving friend and would be happy to send you a pix of the finished purse.

Thank you for your consideration.
Brandi Spitzer