« An eye on London | Main | EM From the Kitchen Challenge »

-- 14 March, 2005 --

EM Toyland Challenge - My Blind Bear

blindbear.jpg
Old Blind Bear
Stabillo Pastel Pencils on Olive Grey Canson Mi-Teintes paper

This bear is about as old as me - the bear, not the drawing, which I did tonight at our Monday night drawing class. He took me about 2 hours to do. I used Stabillo pastel pencils on Canson Mi-Teintes olive-grey paper - A4 size - smooth side. He is my response to the Everyday Matters toyland challenge.

When I was a little girl, I went with my family to visit some relatives. I must have been asleep when we left because the bear was left behind. When we eventually retrieved him, his eyes had been pulled out and his squeaker didn't work any more. 50 years later I am still having trouble forgiving my cousins for hurting my bear.

These days he live a comfortable life with lots and lots of other bears in my collection.

17/03/05 - PS I have done a little cheat, due to the pressure of life, and submitted this entry to Illustration Friday, too.

Posted by robynls at March 14, 2005 8:47 PM

Comments

This is really beautiful! How three-dimensional you have managed to make him -- it's really impressive. And I can feel the fur. It's just the kind of thing I want to try, the texture of fur / velvet and such. And I envy you, for having a drawing class!

Posted by: Nancy at March 14, 2005 9:47 PM

Oh Robyn, I so understand why you would still have trouble forgiving your cousins! My Baby Teddy had lost his eyes, but he had woolen stitched ones so he wasn't blind. He had all the fur loved off, his nose was rather pointed as I think I used to chew it, and I don't remember his growl ever working, and I miss him still. I know he was Real.

My Mum made me give him away when we moved from near London to near Liverpool, along with Mummy Teddy, Peter Rabbit, Dorothy, Archie Andrews and my walkie-talkie dolly Joan. I was just short of 13 at the time, I'm 56 now and still miss them all. My Mum used to get rid of loads of my toys every year just before Christmas, and every year I dreaded it. It's not like I really had a lot of toys, my parents didn't believe in spoiling children.

I have a new family now - Scrat Cat, baby Scrat Cat, Lamb and Emu that my younger daughter has given me for birthdays over the last few years. They usually go on holiday with me, unless I'm travelling by train, when only Scrat Cat comes. If my Mum knew she'd think I was crazy!

Posted by: Maggie at March 14, 2005 9:59 PM

I, well done, Robyn... he's handsome still, and emminently cuddleable:)

Posted by: John Bailey at March 14, 2005 10:51 PM

What a great job you did! I'm curious if the paper he is drawn on was that color or did you do it too?

Posted by: Bonnie at March 14, 2005 11:45 PM

Well Robyn, you did it again....wonderful!
You know how I feel about your teddy bears....

I may have to draw my teddy bear shelf for you one day!

Posted by: Nicolette at March 15, 2005 1:15 AM

I love the way you drew your bear and the story too. The doll I am planning to draw had her hair pulled off by a toddler when I was in the 6th grade. I gave her embroidery floss hair. Somehow she became even more special to me after that.

Posted by: Dawn at March 15, 2005 1:17 AM

Robyn, you did a wonderful job. He's beautiful. I hated playing with kids who couldn't play nice.

Posted by: Patsy at March 15, 2005 2:17 AM

Lovely, Robyn. I can see that he is very special and you did a wonderful job of rendering him.

Posted by: Nancy Grim at March 15, 2005 2:20 AM

You did a wonderful job with the bear!

I would have a hard time forgiving your cousins, too, if I were you.

Posted by: Misa at March 15, 2005 5:55 AM

Nice job, Robyn. Good rendering of the fur.

Posted by: Detlef at March 15, 2005 6:58 AM

Robyn -- I love your bear! He is very much like an older version of the same that I have and was thinking of drawing. The one I've got was my father's when he was a kid, and has been loved to shreds and is patched in more than one place. I keep him on a shelf along with a photograph of Dad as a little boy holding the bear when he was new. Everyone should have a good bear around.

Posted by: Linda at March 15, 2005 1:59 PM

Thank you for your kind comments on my toy dog. No matter how battered your little bear is, he's still so lucky to be loved and living so comforably in your collection. And I do like your drawing!

Posted by: Janey at March 16, 2005 6:48 AM

I love bears, but I only have three stuffed ones!

Posted by: mrsmogul at March 16, 2005 6:43 PM

he is adorable!!!! I have one thats v similar and old - he is 50 now and he's blind in one eye too - must photograph him!

Posted by: krissie at March 16, 2005 9:26 PM

I like everything about this drawing, the palette, textures, choice of paper and medium. He is worth all the time, effort and love you put into him.

Posted by: Laura F at March 17, 2005 11:24 AM

Wonderful piece and execution of the illustration.

Posted by: Elle at March 18, 2005 2:30 AM

What a beautiful drawing! The life in your old bear is surely palpable with this drawing. Wonderful work!

Posted by: Giao at March 18, 2005 4:10 AM

Ohhh...that's very pretty!

Posted by: Jess at March 18, 2005 8:59 AM

Ahh, I like your bear and your story.

Posted by: Braidwood at March 18, 2005 5:46 PM

He's just gorgeous! (and that's saying something coming from a non-teddy-fan)

Posted by: Pseudo at March 19, 2005 6:44 AM

Great story and bear picture. I dont think that I would forget such cruelty to a bear. The cousins would have to be truely repentant if they wanted forgiveness.

Jehosophat - is my top bear and he is 28 years old in May. I have 4 bears that are all over 25 years old. I have another 4 who have joined the family in recent years. Peter

Posted by: Peter at March 23, 2005 3:17 AM