« Moving Porthleven | Main | As I was going to St Ives »

-- 08 March, 2005 --

EM Teacup Challenge

Teacup challenge
This was last week's challenge to the subscribers to the Everyday Matters Yahoo group - I'm a little bit behind. We were to sketch our favourite teacup.

Since I spend so much of my life at school, my favourite cup lives there. A very observant viewer will recognise which well known London department store was the source of this cup. It is a long walk down to the staffroom at school so my cup rarely gets washed, hence the brown tea stain on it's inner surface, which I think contributes to the flavour of the tea.

It has been a long while since I last broke out my watercolours and I am a little bit rusty with the technique. My weapon of choice recently has been either pastels or Aquarelle pencils. I think that I got the perspective a bit twisted, too, as the upper elipse doesn't quite match the bottom one, but in my defence, it only took me about 10 minutes, between classes to complete the sketch.

Posted by robynls at March 8, 2005 2:17 PM

Comments

I like it - is that an 'H' on the side? That would be Harrod's? Excellent tea stain. :)

Posted by: Nancy at March 8, 2005 4:41 PM

Nice one, Robyn... I shall look out for mugs from the H. store when next I'm in Knightsbridge...:)

Posted by: John Bailey at March 8, 2005 5:45 PM

Ah, now may I see a 'profile' view? :-) Yes I know everybody does those.

Posted by: Bonnie at March 9, 2005 12:48 AM

Bonnie, if I did a profile then EVERYONE would guess where I bought it.

Posted by: Robyn [TypeKey Profile Page] at March 10, 2005 10:37 AM

I love to do quick sketches. I'm not sure if it's because I like the effect of them being unfinished or if it's that I then have the perfect excuse for them not looking their best. lol Either way, it seems to be the only kind I can do. Some people on EDM do such complex things - they amaze me. Love this cup - the delicate flowers and all. Neat.

Posted by: Patsy at March 12, 2005 4:54 PM

Hi, hopped over here from my LiveJournal. Thanks for commenting.

Your mug has a very charming shape. And I personally dream of going to Harrod's one day, so I am naturally quite envious of you!

I think you did a fine job with the watercolours. I'm not very good at using them and I tend to cover up with coloured pencils afterwards ;)

Posted by: Miyuki F. at March 18, 2005 6:05 PM