« IF 'Alone' challenge | Main | About Aussie Rules Football »

-- 15 April, 2005 --

Making a spectacle of myself

specs.jpg
'Constant Companions'
Zig & Tombo Brush Pens on Mont Marte 150gsm sketch paper

I didn't feel the need for eye glasses until I was about 25 or so. I was doing my under-graduate degree at night after teaching all day. In first year classes of 400 odd students, I found that I was having to sit closer and closer to the front of the lecture theatres in order to read the overheads. By the time I had focused on them, the lecturer had whipped them away. I thought that I was just tired.

I can still distinctly remember the day that I got my first pair. After having them fitted, I walked out of the optometrist's office and looked around the small suburban shopping centre. It was like seeing the crispest, clearest autumn morning that I could possibly remember. All of the furry edges on things had gone!

Since then I have gone through innumerable pairs and presciptions. These days I have to wear multifocals to adjust my reading eyes as well as my distance eyes. Nothing is ever at the right spot in the lenses so my head is forever bobbing up and down like those little nodding dogs on the back ledges of cars. I have to lift my head to read the labels on things on shop shelves and then lower my head to see what is in my trolley.

The most depressing thing is what it does to my art. I can't see the reference out there properly and it's hard to get the drawings in the right spot in the glasses. It is handy though when I want to do a tone sketch. If I take my glasses off, I don't have to squint to hard to see the darks and lights

Happily, on my last trip to the optometrist, the cheerful young woman (why do they all seem so young these days?) told me that it shouldn't change much from now on - God bless her! Not withstanding ... I HATE GETTING OLDER!

Posted by robynls at April 15, 2005 6:00 PM

Comments

As I read this, my eyes are horribly tired... it really is awful, isn't it, getting older? There's an expression in Gujarati, 'batalis' or 42, meaning the age at which one is likely to need reading glasses. I think that was about right for me.

Posted by: Nancy at April 15, 2005 7:17 PM

For a year I drove with glasses that I swore were the wrong prescription. Back to the Optometrist and he said no it was right.

Only a visit to the opthamalogist did I learn as you age of the 3 stages of your vision. Now I have glasses for driving, but I use the older pair to watch TV. And of course at the computer is another pair. :-)

You inspire me with your art and some day I shall drag out my sketch pad. I only have colored pencils, which I never had used. Still can't figure out why the white one.

Posted by: Bonnie at April 15, 2005 9:53 PM

Robyn, this a very poignant post. The sketch is very good!

Posted by: kymberlee at April 16, 2005 1:02 AM

I like your drawing - the shadow and color and that they're upside down. It's very simple and direct.

Posted by: janey at April 18, 2005 8:30 AM

The drawing of your glasses is terrific!
I've yet to draw my glasses but your note about glasses as constant companions is so true for me!

Posted by: patty at April 19, 2005 2:19 AM

Robyn -- these are great! Love the BLUE color -- fun glasses! I remember the same feeling of being amazed that you could see every leaf on the trees when I got my first pair of glasses at age 7. When I said "I can see the leaves on the trees!" my mother looked at me with her mouth open, and then sat down and cried. I still look at trees and such and become mesmerized by the details.

Posted by: Linda at April 20, 2005 1:09 PM