« Theme Thursday - Building | Main | Oil encore »

-- 01 May, 2005 --

EDM Challenge #13 - Phones

phone.jpg

I think that eagerness that Australians have to embrace the mobile phone has something to do with the vastness of our country, much of it uninhabitable, and the great distances between places. It is no longer a status symbol to own a mobile phone. Even The Poet sometimes remembers to take his with him. Almost everyone has one tucked away in their pocket or bag. They can be seen in use in cars, buses, trains and while walking down the street. Answering a call on the mobile phone becomes more important than any conversation that might already be happening with someone in your presence. Unpleasant confrontations can be avoided by texting someone, rather than approaching to have a face to face conversation.

In an earlier entry for another Everyday Matters challenge, I talked about how I am on my endless quest for the perfect handbag. Until recently I think that I was on a similar quest for the perfect mobile phone ... and then I found this one.

Mobile phone manufacturers seem to have all sorts of wonderful bells and whistles to offer on phones. I wanted to have as many of these packed into a single phone. SMS, MMS, email, web browser, infrared, Bluetooth - for a computing teacher who hates teaching computer communications, I now seem to have access to all of it in this one small phone. It takes photos and video, maintains my contacts, calendar, tasks and notes. Goodness me! I even occasionally use it to to make a phone call.

Posted by robynls at May 1, 2005 6:35 PM

Comments

Great Drawing. I love the commentary that goes along with it. I should try to do this more! Keep up the great work.

Posted by: shelly mcc at May 1, 2005 9:25 PM

Nice work, R! Now if it only had a stylus and a tablet, you could draw and paint with it, too! (I'm trying to learn to use my Wacom tablet and it is SLOWWWW going.)
Laura

Posted by: Laura at May 1, 2005 10:31 PM

OH! NO! I thought that I had finished my quest for the perfect phone ... but no, now it has to draw. Back to the Internet for me :-)

Posted by: Robyn [TypeKey Profile Page] at May 1, 2005 10:36 PM

I am laughed at for attaching a little tiny notebook to my phone so I can take wrong numbers off my messages. I can't remember how as I use the phone only for Meals On Wheels client calls and have it in case of emergency. No bells or whistles.

Posted by: Bonnie at May 1, 2005 11:17 PM

I love your blog. I especially loved the last comment about your phone that sometimes you even use it to make a call. That's funny. When I was a little girl (a long time ago), if someone had said someday I'd have phone you would carry with you, take pictures of people (without film), send faxes (unknown), access the internet (unknown) and it wouldn't even have a cord....I'd have thought them crazy. I often thought how strange the world seemed to my grandmother who was born before the last Indian treaty was signed, before cars, telephones and for most people even electricity...all the way to men landing on the moon. And yet my life of 60 years has certainly seen as many steps as hers. Thanks for sharing your art and your thoughts.
Susan-KC,MO

Posted by: Susan Miller at May 1, 2005 11:20 PM

Great drawing, too complicated a phone for me to use! My kids text all the time, and I don't even know how to do that. Mind you, I never go out alone so don't need a mobile myself. Hugs from greyish Liverpool, Maggie

Posted by: Maggie Wallace at May 2, 2005 12:25 AM

This is great, and I also love the commentary! Isn't it amazing how something can so quickly progress from impossible to experimental to luxury to necessity? I use my cell phone not only for calls and messages, but for the notepad all the time ... and it was only 5 or 6 years ago that I said I'd never get one.
Linda

Posted by: Linda at May 2, 2005 2:07 AM

hi
fab phone drawing. i feel so inadequate you rule this thing & i can hardly do anything other than tell time and answer the very expensive thing!!!

love the earthenware piece above as well.
have a good week, patty
edm group

Posted by: patty at May 4, 2005 2:06 AM

I went on a similar quest for a phone about 6 month ago and am in love with my phone, even if I had to go with Optus. It's amazing being able to check your email and surf the net when your stuck in traffic or a long line.

Posted by: Michelle Like a mule at May 15, 2005 7:51 PM