« Sketchcrawl - my day | Main | The Interview Game »

-- 01 June, 2005 --

Life drawing class

kate.jpg

I haven't picked up a brush or a pencil for a while - haven't really felt very much like it. If I could sleep a bit better, I would probably feel a bit more like creative work but that hasn't been easy for the last little while. Oh, well - Monday night art class makes me focus a bit better than normal so something actually happens.

We had a life drawing class this week. The full body sketches were a complete, disappointing flop. The model had a beautifully proportioned body and she was happy to sit still for for longer than most of the models we have had previously but I just can't get it. The turn of an ankle or wrist end up looking like sausages under my pencils.

For the long pose that is the culmination of the class I slipped back into my comfort zone. I really enjoy doing portraits. It is a challenge to use a lead pencil making shading turn into the furrows and creases of a human face. Having a model who is prepared to sit still and be stared at for an hour or so presents a rare opportunity to practice this skill.

I think that this portrait is a reasonable representation of our Monday night model.

Posted by robynls at June 1, 2005 8:51 PM

Comments

She's positively lovely, Robyn.

Posted by: Bex at June 1, 2005 10:05 PM

Robyn, I empathise with you and your frustration. I've been drawing the figure lately, too, and it IS a challenge. The drawing you posted is excellent.

Posted by: Laura at June 1, 2005 10:43 PM

This is beautifully done Robyn. I think a successful pencil sketch is a fine achievement. I have a fascination for portraiture too.

Terri

Posted by: Terri at June 1, 2005 11:05 PM

Not having seen her I must say you do well with faces. She appears more matronly than I would think an artist model would be. I guess I watch too much TV. :-)

Posted by: Bonnie at June 2, 2005 10:54 AM

A great sketch Robyn. I empathise with the battle to get the figure right - especially the hands and feet!

Posted by: Jill at June 2, 2005 11:31 AM

We have had all sorts of models at our class. Most young and lithe but, on the odd occasion, ones who make me feel a little better about my middle age spread. This lady is a dancer so she has a beautifully proportioned body. She is a little older than most of the models that we have had, though.

Posted by: Robyn [TypeKey Profile Page] at June 2, 2005 12:32 PM

I haven't had the opportunity to do "life" drawing since college. (trust me--a long time ago). I sympathize with you! I would need to have many hours with live models to get better at the unclothed human form. I think it's great you have this chance to work with models. I think your pencil sketch shows her character, and I like the angle you drew--it adds interest. :)

Posted by: Kathleen Marie at June 2, 2005 7:43 PM

Well Robyn you're one up on me, I've never done life drawing, but I sense and feel your frustation. I can only offer you encouragement to stick at it, remember it's as much about the act of drawing as it is about the finished product. Chin up.

Posted by: Detlef at June 2, 2005 9:41 PM

Hi, My name is Mandy. I was a life model when I was around 24, so I have experience. I am 31 now and am thinking of returning to life modelling. Do many classes have women in their 30's. I would imagine that mostly it would be younger women. Are models in their 30's more sought after because there are less of them out there and they are able to offer the artist an older yet still shapely figure to draw?

The art society I used to pose for has now closed. If you know of anywhere that is looking for a model around my age, please let me know.

Thanks