« Bell pepper postcard | Main | Tip your hat »

-- 10 July, 2005 --

Eucalypt is Australian!

gumleaf.JPG
Winter Eucalptus
Van Gogh watercolour pencils
on Windsor & Newton 150gsm cartridge paper

Some guru in far off Kew Gardens has apparently decided that the gums of Australia should no longer be known as Eucalypts. Aussies who are aware of this are, quite rightly, aghast!

For over 200 years our gum trees have been eucalyptus. The whole world knows about our eucalyptus trees and our poor little koala bears have been eating them for millenia. They would be VERY confused if some paternalistic botanist somewhere else decides to call them something else. Don't we have some say in this? They are our trees, not someone else's!

Posted by robynls at July 10, 2005 4:02 PM

Comments

I agree - eucualypts are as Aussie as meat pies, kangaroos and holden cars. Next thing you'll know the wattle will be under threat. How do you find the watercolour pencils to use? I've tried a couple of times to use them, without much success.

Posted by: Detlef at July 11, 2005 8:17 PM

Ohhh a name change would be shocking. The Eucalyptus leaves have been used as a symbol more often than meat pies etc. for those Australian's with style! You have done justice to our Eucalyptus leaf portrait Robyn :) Again Agast!!!

Posted by: Anonymous at July 11, 2005 9:22 PM

I remember a Girl Scout song Kookaberry sits in the old gum tree, merry merry king of the bushes he..laugh kookaberry laugh kookaberry leaves some there for me. That wasn't 200 yrs. ago either. :-)

Love the drawing today.

Posted by: Bonnie at July 12, 2005 12:48 AM

Robyn, Sorry to post this as a comment, hope you intercept it through the comment filter system - lost your email address after a clean-up this morning - just wanted to say I see what you mean about Duane's eBay selling system, how it works from his site - thanks for the tip-off, but I really don't get sufficient traffic or demand at the present time to justify setting this up. Thanks anyway, please don't post this, I hate people doing it on my site, but I've scoured your blog for an email link, and just can't find one.

Cheers,
Blue.

Posted by: Blue at July 17, 2005 9:24 PM

We love your eucalypts here in Southern California, but we always remember where they came from (at least those of us who care about horticulture do!)

Posted by: Karen Winters at July 18, 2005 2:45 AM

I just got back from visiting my family in Australia. Two eucalyptus stories: (1) when approaching Canberra by air, flying low over the gum trees, I had a strong pang of patriotism and identity. "Wow! This is my homeland!" Those trees did it for me. (2) My sister and I were visiting our elderly mother, who at some point in the conversation claimed that gum and eucalyptus were different species. "Koalas eat gum leaves," she asserted. "They don't eat eucalyptus trees." She rebutted our mild protests, so we humoured her and let it go. On leaving, sis said to me, "Don't let Mum educate your family on the native flora, please!" And the next day when (chewing) gum was mentioned, I muttered "eucalyptus" and we both tried not to crack up laughing.

Posted by: Hashi at July 20, 2005 9:41 AM

I don't know where Kew Garden is, but I totally agree with you.

Cheers,