« Eucalypt is Australian! | Main | EDM Fruit challenge »

-- 19 July, 2005 --

Tip your hat

hat.jpg

Number Two Son and I went back for the new term of art classes last night. It is really great to have this time each week to just be purerly selfish about the time taken to make a drawing. One of the excuses that I seem to use to myself not to draw is that I don't have the time I like to take to make the image. On Monday nights time is all that we have - time to draw and time together.

I was quite taken aback when I saw what the teacher had put out as a reference this time. We usually get bowls or bottles, vegies or fruit. On this occasion we got hats - two of them. I really like this one that she had perched on top of a wine bottle. It was made of green felt and I liked that way that the light refected off one side while it seemed to smooth into the shaded side. I have always been a little scared of doing folds but the cleft in the top of the hat was a 'baby steps' challenge for a fold.

Back to my old favourite soft pastels - it has been a long time. I have been trying to grow my finger nails over the last few weeks - not an easy thing with paper thin nails. Working with pastels reminds me why I do prefer to keep them short. I trimmed them back as soon as I got home.

Posted by robynls at July 19, 2005 6:49 PM

Comments

Well done, indeed, Robyn. Like the hat! Reminds me of one Paul has that he brought home from Switzerland at the age of 12...;-)

Posted by: Bex at July 19, 2005 9:09 PM

That is absolutely lovely! I love hats and never thought of trying to draw one.

Posted by: Bonnie at July 19, 2005 11:18 PM

Great hat - looks rather 1920s. I've never used soft pastels much, but am beginning to try them out. Not had any time to draw recently, life keeps happening! ;-) Some good, some bad.

But we're off to Wales hopefully on Saturday (can't go Friday evening as I'm desperate for a haircut - elder daughter and me meant to go last Sat but our hairdresser was away in Spain!) so should have more time there... Except the garden will need sorting I suspect! ;-)

Hugs from grey and chilly Liverpool, where I've had to put the central heating back on after a week of heatwave!

Posted by: Maggie at July 20, 2005 1:17 AM

I really like this hat set-up and am making a note to use it as an art exercise one evening. Really nicely done drawing -- you managed to get really sharp details with soft pastel, and I'm impressed!

Posted by: Linda at July 21, 2005 8:19 AM

I really like this pastel drawing. Is the hat made from a felt - if so you have also captured its texture :)

Posted by: Anonymous at August 12, 2005 11:25 AM