« EDM Fruit challenge | Main | Wine bottle in oil pastels »

-- 16 August, 2005 --

EDM Veg Challenge

P1010048.JPG
Sennelier soft pastel on Ingres paper

It is almost as though my art class teacher is reading Everyday Matters. Our reference this week was this wonderful pair of pumpkins, which allows me to provide a response to challenge #26.

I have gone back to my comfort zone. I am using soft pastels again. The Sennelier pastels are just like butter - soft and creamy. I love getting my fingers into the pigment on the page and sculpting it into the shapes that I am looking at. The angle of the cut face was a bit tricky and took a few goes but I am reasonable happy with the outcome.

Posted by robynls at August 16, 2005 9:31 PM

Comments

Mmmmm, Robyn, makes me want to take a trip to the market and get some Acorn squash for supper! Very nice...

Posted by: Bex at August 16, 2005 10:07 PM

Very nice job - to roast or turn into soup? These are the things that this drawing conjures up. I like the way that you've captured the inside of the sliced pumpkin. I cannot however let the subject of pumpkins pass without saying that if you ever get the chance to see William Delafield Cook's drawings of pumpkins (and other assorted drawings of fruit and vegetables) then you know you are in heaven and have seen true genius...unfortunately I don't think there any of his fruit/vegie drawings on the web.

Posted by: Detlef at August 16, 2005 10:14 PM

OOOOOHHHHHH Really nice drawing. Aren't pastels hard to control? Do you use pastel pencils too?

Posted by: lindsay at August 17, 2005 12:01 AM

With pastels how does one 'erase'?

Our pumpkins have orange exteriors. :-)

Posted by: Bonnie at August 17, 2005 12:13 AM

Lovely pastel, Robyn. Your post is my first inkling that Fall is on the way. I always associate acorn squash with cool weather and we could sure use some cool weather right now! I have used Nupastels (hard), but have never tried soft. Your description makes me want to run out and get some!

Posted by: Nancy Grim at August 17, 2005 1:16 AM

Wonderful piece Robyn! I have never tried pastel, but you make me want to try and play with it! Your pumpkin is so gorgeous.

Posted by: Evy at August 17, 2005 5:35 AM

Thank for the positive feedback, Lindsay.

I have found that going BIG makes handling the pastels easier. I am not good at small spaces This drawing is on 12" by 18" paper. Yes, I use pastel pencil too. There are some drawings using these on my blog somewhere - check the categories list. They are much better for small sketches and fine detail. I used they to do the initial sketch for this painting and for fine outlines around the cut pumpkin.

Posted by: Robyn at August 17, 2005 7:34 AM

Your pumpkins are sooo fabulous. You have a beautiful style to your art Robyn. You showed me your Pumkin, I'll show you mine ;)
I am new at this and because the pumpkin was cut I could not get it to look quite right.

Posted by: Clare at August 17, 2005 8:13 AM

Hi Bonny,

In the beginning a drawing, the pastel cam be removed by rubbing it off with a cloth. It is a bit harder later on as the pigment becomes enmeshed with the tooth of the paper. You just have to go over the earlier work with another colour. I actually did that in this drawing as I was trying to get the shape of the cut pumpkin right.

In Australia we have pumpkins with a variety of skin colours, mainly green, blue-green, yellows and oranges.

Posted by: Robyn at August 17, 2005 8:51 AM

I love the way you've used soft smudged lines with crisp clean lines too. This creates a nice depth. Beautiful colours...they almost glow.

Posted by: Terri at August 17, 2005 11:23 AM