« The Artistically Undiscovered | Main | Outside the comfort zone »

-- 29 January, 2006 --

Gallery sketching

remy.JPG I have come home from holiday in the UK to find the current discussion on the Everyday Matters discussion group to be about sketching in galleries.

One of the things that I enjoy about being in London is a trip to the National Gallery. On this trip I managed to get together enough nerve to pull out my trusty Moleskine, which had become a sketchbook/scrapbook journal of our trip, and begin sketching. And what better artist to try to copy than Rembrandt. How bold could I possibly be! to even imagine that I could so anything that vaguely resembles the Great Master!

The discussion on Everyday Matters centred around whether or not sketching is allowed in various galleries. In my experience public galleries seem to not only alllow but even encourage budding artists to use the art works as examples to learn from. I believe that this is as it should be, since the works have been purchased with tax payers' funds. Private galleries, on the other hand, should have the right to withhold permission to sketch from their works since they own the works privately.

Posted by robynls at January 29, 2006 12:42 PM

Comments

Glad to see you back, and wow! a visit to the UK...I am so envious. I miss that bit of the planet so much! Fine sketch, indeed!

Posted by: Bex at January 29, 2006 11:09 PM

Nice. I hope that if I ever get near a museum / gallery, I'll have the discipline to sit down and draw. This man has a very firm and distinctive gaze.

Glad you're back!

Posted by: Nancy at January 30, 2006 1:26 AM

Glad you're back, and sorry to hear about your MIL. It must have been very exciting to be sitting in front of a Rembrandt, sketching it, looking at the brush strokes that were put there by the very master himself. I don't think I could have done it! :-) Goood job!

Posted by: Linda at January 30, 2006 3:21 AM

Seems right that one should be allowed to sketch in public tax supported galleries and be a subject of permission to do so in private ones.

To my mind, cameras used without flash should also be allowed, but many museums and galleries do not allow that.

Welcome home.

Posted by: Denver doug at January 30, 2006 11:51 AM

Welcome back, Robyn, I'm glad to see you drawing and posting again, and I hope the poet is much better.

Posted by: Karen Winters at January 30, 2006 3:51 PM

And what a great sketch! We can all learn from the masters - and what better way to study them than first-hand, sketching in the galleries.

The UK is missing you already - come back soon...

Posted by: Blue at January 30, 2006 7:07 PM

Glad to see you are back in town/country. Agree with your comments on sketching in museums, and with Denver Doug's on photography.

Posted by: Detlef at January 30, 2006 7:23 PM

The few times I have been in galleries here I've not seen anyone sketching. I've seen people with headphones listening to descriptions about some of the pieces. And of course no cameras.

That is an excellent sketch! Reminds me some of an old school teacher.

Posted by: Bonnie at January 31, 2006 12:39 AM

I have been told that it is good to use the Masters as inspiration and sketch from there work to improve your own style. I love the photo and to think you were in the UK.

Posted by: mz. em at February 1, 2006 8:11 AM