« Fives meme | Main | Cut Apples in Ink »

-- 22 April, 2006 --

Homage to Giorgio Morandi

Homage to Giorgio Morandi
Originally uploaded by Robynls.
The Inspire Me Thursday challenge for this week is to "Find Art in the Everyday".

Giorgio Morandi was a master at seeing art in everyday things. He lined up bottle, boxes and jars up in rows and then painted them in oils, using a rather drab colour palette. Apparently he would then rearrange the bottles, boxes and jars and paint them again.

In my response, I have tried to emulate his technique by lining up some bottles that are everyday things from my kitchen in the same sort of straight line that Morandi used. Since I am not very good with oils, I used watercolour pencils. Morandi always painted his containers as if they were solid rather than transparent. These three bottles are glass but I have followed his example and made them solid too.

Posted by robynls at April 22, 2006 11:23 PM

Comments

I certainly learn a lot visiting here. Now to follow your link and learn more. :-)

btw were I to try bottles we know already they would resemble a Picasso abstract. :-)

Posted by: Bonnie at April 23, 2006 12:15 AM

Nice job, Robyn. And thanks for the education about Morandi, whom I hadn't heard of.

Posted by: Hashi at April 23, 2006 2:45 AM

I like it! Good job!

Posted by: Sioux at April 23, 2006 1:39 PM

Robin, I loved your comment on my blog about how you "document" your trips to the movies with stubs. I never thought of documenting those humble excursions! Thanks for the idea.
Look forward to more visits to your place.

Posted by: lindsay at April 24, 2006 2:04 AM

what a nice take on imt! loved learning about morandi...

i always am inspired by the unassuming, mundane items all around me...

thanks for your post!

:) mary ann

Posted by: mary ann at April 24, 2006 8:29 AM

Robyn; I have to say the diversity of the art you show on your Blog is amazing and so inspiring!I don't know which piece I like better... they all have something unique and beautiful about them.
The drawing of your model with the white corrections made by your tutor, really is beautiful. I think you captured her essence and the pose quite well. But having the corrections done in another colour is brilliant! This will be an excellent reference for future drawings.
Thank you for sharing your work, even the 'not pristine' pieces are educational.

Posted by: Bonny at April 24, 2006 3:46 PM

I LOVE this! I have bottles on my kitchen window sill! Isn't IMT FUN???

Posted by: turquoisecro at April 24, 2006 5:15 PM

I think it's such a great exercise to emulate artists one admires! This turned out relly well! I like the arrangement you chose and the simple composition.

Posted by: carla at April 25, 2006 3:35 AM

This is great Robyn!
I love the muted tones

Posted by: Anastasia at April 27, 2006 2:07 PM

Hi, Robyn...hope all is well. We are in northern Virginia now, near George Washington's birthplace. On Sunday they are having a service about his first inaguration...think I will go.

--sioux

Posted by: Sioux at April 29, 2006 5:27 AM

Oh, and I got a smaller Nikon coolpix P2...it is working great!!

Posted by: Sioux at April 29, 2006 5:27 AM

I love your Morandi. It has the same quiet strength with simplicity and piecefulness - now if only life were like that :)

Posted by: alison in canberra at May 2, 2006 4:51 PM