« Challenge #61 - a grouping | Main | Dinner »

-- 10 April, 2006 --

Originally uploaded by Robynls.

Posted by robynls at April 10, 2006 1:48 PM

Comments

It's wonderful that you shared this, Robyn...Yes, we live in a day when a person who is truly KIND stands out. In fact, how many people can you think of who you would characterize as kind? Very few. Yet, here is a man who puts his kindness into action.

I too deal with taking my mother about. She is 92 and no longer walks unaided...in fact, very little time out of the wheelchair. A REGULAR wheelchair is horrible to get in and out the car. They are wonderful for when you are settled, but not good for transit. We bought a MUCH lighter-weight version...I believe it's called a companion chair...made of a waterproof fabric, without those huge side wheels. In the companion chair, the person must be pushed by someone...but if you're out together shopping or eating or attending a show, that is not a problem. The one we use is made by a company called DRIVE. Not too pricey. Worth every penny.

Great drawing of your thumb!

Posted by: Rita Cleary at April 10, 2006 2:26 PM

wonderful entry, Robyn. And i will remember those words, "just show me what to do". thank you for that.

Posted by: Starr at April 10, 2006 2:28 PM

niiiiiiiice.

Loved the story.

Posted by: Lydia Velarde at April 10, 2006 3:05 PM

Angels appear when you least expect them. What a wonderful experience for The Poet and you.

Posted by: Karen Winters at April 10, 2006 3:59 PM

Glad you shared that! Its the little things in life that matter like being kind and helpful in a time of need - and we should never forget it!
People are so wrapped in their own agendas we've forget what the important things in life are!!
Cute thumb by the way!!

Posted by: Anastasia at April 10, 2006 6:05 PM

Thank you for sharing this. While I was reading I tried to imagine what I would have done, and all I could hear were my mother's words in my ear "Don't stare - you're embarrassing them." Thank you for opening my eyes.

Posted by: melissa w at April 10, 2006 10:58 PM

Aw, that is a lovely story, it would be lovely it were a more frequent event and if I see another person struggling in a similar fashion, I shall do all I can to help too.

Kari x

Posted by: kari at April 10, 2006 11:42 PM

I remember so well when son was on crutches and I carried his books as he hobbled toward the school door. No one offered to open it. That was years ago. Hasn't gotten a lot better if at all.

Glad to read of a kind soul.

Posted by: Bonnie at April 11, 2006 12:55 AM

What a lovely story and a lovely man...love this...thanks so much for sharing...

Posted by: Margaret at April 11, 2006 1:02 AM

Lovely moment - so rare - even the doctor's receptionist watched me struggle to get Mum + wheelchair through the door recently - no offer to help. I suppose I should have politely asked. Sigh.

Posted by: alison in canberra at April 11, 2006 9:45 AM

This is a lovely post. Thank you for sharing it.

Posted by: Sarah at April 14, 2006 11:06 AM