« Cut Apples in Ink | Main | Where on Earth? »

-- 03 May, 2006 --

Chapel lantern

Chapel lantern
Originally uploaded by Robynls.
Eight years ago I would have been facing my first Parent/Teacher night here at this school. My card would have been fully booked because way back then parents would encourage their girls to take computer courses because they thought that they would need the skills in later life.

The girls still need the skills in later life but now parents see them skillfully using the Internet and chatting in the chatrooms and think that they know it all. Unfortunately, they don't but it means that my classes are very small these days.

At least the long wait between one interview and the next gave me the time to go and sit in the cool autumn sun and sketch the lantern on top of the school chapel. I have been promising myself to do this for almost all of those eight years and now I have.

I still can't draw straight lines.

Posted by robynls at May 3, 2006 6:10 PM

Comments

I guess parents haven't seen some of the things kids are writing online.

You aren't the only one who has trouble with lines. :-)

Posted by: Bonnie at May 4, 2006 9:33 AM

Hey, I think it's great...and who said those lines had to be straight, anyway??

Posted by: Sioux at May 4, 2006 12:27 PM

Robyn, Thanks for your thoughtfull comments and for your suggestion about the map. You can also get a free invisible stat counter. Just google up "free invisible stat counter" and you'll get directed there. Its really fun to see how the stats break down!

I love your drawings. This building, the ink apples and the figure below. The figure especially has such solid presence.

Posted by: lindsay at May 6, 2006 8:32 PM

Straight lines are highly overrated, but expressive lines are wonderful. I'm glad you made such excellent use of the time.

Posted by: Karen Winters at May 7, 2006 2:24 AM

I love the way your lantern turned out! It's much more important to capture what we want to remember, never mind if it's not perfectly straight... How many of us could do better? Not me, that's for sure!

Posted by: Bonny at May 7, 2006 11:59 AM

Thanks to all of my lovely friends who are so encouraging with their comments. I realise that I should stop being precious about my drawings and just enjoy it ... and I certainly do.

Posted by: Robyn at May 7, 2006 2:57 PM

Straight lines have zero character! This is a lovely drawing and straight lines would have spoiled it completely!

Posted by: Jan at May 7, 2006 3:01 PM