« Chapel lantern | Main | Number 2 Son is Number 1 »

-- 07 May, 2006 --

Where on Earth?

On the 14 April, I added a ClustrMap to this blog so that I could see where my visitors are from. It is down there at the bottom of the right column with my visit counter and a deliberately blurry picture of me, in case you haven't scrolled down there for a while. I had a vague idea of who was visiting from the comments that people have kindly taken the time to leave but the counter shows that there are lots more visitors who read and move on without leaving a record of their passing.

It has been exciting to see that there are so many more people in the US who pass through than I was aware of. I have some dear friends in the UK, some of whom I have had the pleasure of meeting in person but the map shows more there as well. I can now see where Chennai really is and am ashamed that I never bothered to look it up on a map before. I can see where my Australian friends are located now.

What does surprise me, though, are the really unusual and unexpected places that are popping up with little red dots. There are currently two showing in Japan, two in Russia and one in Mexico. There is one in what looks like Romania and one in Sudan. I can see one in Bangladesh and a small number in various countries around the Mediterranean and in South-East Asia.

I have just upgraded my ClustrMap subscription to a level where soon I will be able to expand the maps to continent level so that I can see more closely were my visitors live. It is so exciting to think that I am communicating in some small way with so many diverse people. It would be lovely if visitors from some of these interesting and unusual places would leave a comment so that I can get to know them as well as I do those who are regulars but just to know they have passed through is a buzz.

'Thank you' to everyone who makes the effort to visit. We are making the world smaller and doing a tiny little bit toward peace by getting to know one another a little better. Please drop by again.

Posted by robynls at May 7, 2006 7:56 PM

Comments

still here and enjoying your sketches Robyn, feeling guilty now that I quite often seem to pass by and not leave a comment :)
will go and write a hundred lines "must try harder"
Erica in Sydney

Posted by: Erica at May 7, 2006 9:14 PM

hi Robyn,
The global thing is just fabulous!! I always take a peek at what your doing, saying, however not always comment.
Am thinking of doing a website down the road and am going to save the info re map. Super! Best always, Elaine in Florida!!

Posted by: Elaine at May 8, 2006 12:32 AM

Here's my note, Robyn. I read, and don't always have time to write back. I think I have bitten off more journals than I can chew lately! But I love yours and I can always depend on seeing some nice piece of original art from you. I am here on the northeast coast of the U.S. about 20 up the coast north of Boston in historic Salem, MA. HOme of the famous witch trials and (my cousin) Nathaniel Hawthorne. And we have our first ever female mayor this year, Mayor Kim Driscoll!

Posted by: Bex at May 8, 2006 5:25 AM

this link I'm reading shows no map. ?

Posted by: Bonnie at May 8, 2006 8:23 AM

OK I came back to the main tab and see the map. Wouldn't let me zoom in on USA though. Assuming this is not one of those where we add where we are.

Posted by: Bonnie at May 8, 2006 8:26 AM

Its amazing isnt it Robyn - thanks for the link!

Posted by: Anastasia at May 8, 2006 4:54 PM

I'll have to go check out your map.

Posted by: mz. em at May 13, 2006 5:23 PM

Hello from Tucson, Arizona!

Posted by: alanna at May 14, 2006 3:24 PM

Hello! Just browsing through your blog. I love your sketches, paintings, and your insights. Thank so much for sharing!

Posted by: Cathy Highland at August 9, 2006 2:01 PM

Just posted a comment on your mother-son-arts-class. Now I see that you're interested to know where your visitors are from :) I am not telling here! ;))))) Wait till you get the postcrossing card! :))
Silver