« EDM Challenge #70 | Main | Meg ala Janey123 »

-- 09 June, 2006 --

EDM Challenge 66

EDM Challenge 66
Pencil and watercolour on
watercolour Moleskine
In this challenge we were asked to draw a fire hydrant and then to write something about fires and firemen. In Australia fire hydrants are holes in the ground, not the elegant structures that appear on the streets in the US. Rather than do a picture of one of these steel covered holes, I have used my watercolour Moleskine to do a sketch of a fire extinguisher in one of our classrooms.

When I was a little kid, my Dad was a fireman. I can remember (vaguely) him being away from home at all sorts of odd times when he worked his shifts. For years when we drove through the suburb where his firestation was located, someone would point out that that was where Dad used to work.

The only bit of his uniform that was left after this stage of his life was his great big leather belt with a very hard brass buckle. It hung over the knob of the diningroom door. When we did something naughty, Mum would tell us that we should be whooped with the belt. Of course, she would never do such a thing but she did have the three of us well and truely bluffed.

Posted by robynls at June 9, 2006 3:52 PM

Comments

Good fire extinguisher. School...guess you all are in the middle of the year? The schools here have just let out for the summer. Our college grandson is staying on at the college, working on the grounds. He plans to take a course or two next summer semester. This will make him a junior by Christmas.

Posted by: Sioux at June 9, 2006 4:10 PM

When the fire extinguisher showed up on my monitor and thought how such a simple sketch can pack a punch; I needed to tell you and also that I have been enjoying your postings since listing you in my bloglines. Keep up the good :)

Posted by: Susan Borgas at June 9, 2006 4:45 PM

You've really caught the shinyness well - we have fire hydrants here - yellow, red, and grey ones as well as underground ones.

Posted by: alison at June 9, 2006 10:35 PM

Nicely rendered.

Posted by: melissa w at June 9, 2006 11:05 PM

I have no recollection of anything other than the threat of the belt,it hung on the back of the dinning room door. I also seem to remember that someone buried it, there was a great hurrah over that! I know I didn't so it must have been one of you two..... come on own up.
Apart from that bit of dredged up memory - great fire extinguisher.

Posted by: Gail at June 9, 2006 11:47 PM

Hi Robyn, beautiful work with the fire extinguisher, it really looks real, :)i liked your story to go with it too.

Posted by: clare at June 10, 2006 10:41 AM

Who would of thought about drawing an extinguisher. A good rendering too.

We were threatened with dad's razor strop. I remember sister getting it once as we were fighting. I thought I was going to be next but I just got a warning. I felt so sorry for her.

Posted by: Bonnie at June 10, 2006 11:25 PM