« EDM Challenge 71 | Main | EDM 75 - SpagBog ala Rob »

-- 06 July, 2006 --

EDM Challenge 74

EDM Challenge 74
Originally uploaded by ** Robyn **.
Our letterbox has seen better days, particularly since at least one of us has either backed into or scraped against it as we have back out of the driveway. The letterbox always gets its own back in the damage that it inflicts on the car.

In the years that we have lived in this house a mountain of mail has come to rest in this box. Everything from the inevitable junk mail from the local supermarket, hardware or pizza shop to the much anticipated postcards from participants in the Purple Ink Yahoo Group postcard exchange aka PIPE. All of us have struggled through one course or more in those years. Depending on the stage that we were at, the most important pieces of mail at the time would have been either an acceptance letter for a desired course or the results at the end of a semester.

The mail that I love the best are the birthday cards. Christmas cards tend to come from everyone from your mum to the local real estate agent, trying to drum up business, but birthday cards always come from someone who really loves you and wants to let you know about it. Over the years they come less and less but that makes those that do come even more important.

Posted by robynls at July 6, 2006 7:01 PM

Comments

a lovely post!
I love coming home to a full mail box - even the ads are welcome!
Birthday cards in the mail are treasured here too!

Posted by: Anastasia at July 6, 2006 10:02 PM

Great post. I miss 'real mail.' Waiting for the mail to come used to be exciting, but there is rarely anything worth reading these days!

Posted by: melissa w at July 6, 2006 11:24 PM

Indeed they come less and less, and with email that should increase perhaps some day to almost none.

Posted by: Bonnie at July 7, 2006 1:25 AM

I never thought of my mail box in this way. What a wonderful entry Robyn.

Posted by: mz. em at July 7, 2006 12:51 PM

GREAT post and lovely mailbox!!! I think getting real mail is why I order so many books!!!!

Posted by: lin at July 9, 2006 10:52 PM

a delightful little sketch - may your post box bribg you many more birthday cards. Thanks for visiting my blog - I think I've heard that dutchman saying before - the dutch were a sailing nation too so I think it strengthen's my theory about the cat referring to a sailor - I've tried googling it but got nothing. I hope you're having a nice holiday

Posted by: alison at July 10, 2006 9:14 PM

Might want to get yourself a plastic mailbox. Not quite as nice but they do less damage to the car. I don't remember the last time I received a postcard from a person and not someone trying to drum up business. Just kidding about that mailbox thing. :)

Posted by: Rob [TypeKey Profile Page] at July 21, 2006 10:07 PM