« Apple Sauce | Main | Monday night treasures »

-- 21 July, 2006 --

EDM Challenge 76 - Fresh Flowers

EDM Challenge 76 - Fresh Flowers
Originally uploaded by ** Robyn **.
When I arrived home from work this afternoon there was a BIG box waiting for me. I couldn't remember what I had ordered so it was like getting a Christmas present. I waited like a good girl until I had finished all of the jobs that needed to be done and then took the box into the kitchen where I had cleared a space on the bench and used the kitchen scissors to slice open the miles of packaging tape that held the box together through the post. Inside, under four air filled plastic padding pillows large enough to be used as small sofa cushions, was a tin of 24 Derwent Inktense pencils and one Fabriano Quadrato Artist's Journal.

Now to the pansies. Our Challenge Mistress said "This week's challenge is to draw or paint some flowers". Clever girl admitted that it would probably be a bit tricky for those of us in the southern hemisphere enjoying the relief of the winter's chill and invited us to do the coral trees or the wattle that she has heard are beginning to blossom. Never one to do the predictable, however, I have chosen to draw a couple of the pansies that our gardener at school had put out especially to make the gardens colourful for the opening of our refurbished Junior School.

Oh, by the way ... I have used my newly arrived toys for this challenge. The pencils ain't half bad. The Fabriano paper is a little on the thin side for a wet medium, though. I think that I will stick to dry the next time I use it.

Posted by robynls at July 21, 2006 9:42 PM

Comments

Gorgeous. I admire your will power in not immediately opening the package

Posted by: melissa w at July 21, 2006 10:50 PM

SIMPLY STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Lin at July 21, 2006 11:32 PM

Whoah, those Fabriano journals are the biz! Just got back from the art shop, comparitively unscathed, managed to leave the journals there for once, but spent 4 times what I intended!

Posted by: .blue at July 22, 2006 12:11 AM

PS: Fabriano is primarily for pen, pencil, crayon, pastel. You will have fun!

Posted by: .blue at July 22, 2006 12:12 AM

ooh love pansies and you did a fabulous job as always! Takes me back to childhood in Canada! Rarely see pansies, at least not for long, here in smothery Fl.
Don't you just love opening packages of wonderful art stuff!!

Posted by: Elaine at July 22, 2006 1:40 AM

Great story and beautiful pansies. I was so excited to get a big box from Jerrys Art Supplies myself yesterday (including a box of Inktense pencils). Sadly I was so tired when I got home from work last night that I only had the energy to open the box and haven't even tried them yet. I'm looking forward to trying them out--especially after seeing your lovely pansies!

Posted by: Jana Bouc at July 22, 2006 2:33 AM

Gorgeous pansies, Robyn. I couldn't have resisted using my new art supplies right away either!

Posted by: carole at July 22, 2006 6:46 AM

Lovely! Well we may not be in Winter but our summer heat is killing everything!

Posted by: bb at July 22, 2006 10:09 AM

Robyn, the pansys are simple yet stunning. The colours are very strong. I do the same thing when I get a parcel, I make sure I get all the annoying stuff done and then make myself a cuppa and sit down with my treasure and enjoy! it makes the whole experience all the more enjoyable.

Posted by: clare hansford at July 25, 2006 9:41 AM

new art materials - fun fun!!!
great flowers....

Posted by: Anastasia at July 25, 2006 4:58 PM

Beautiful flowers, Robyn and I'm glad that you have something blooming other than coral trees and wattles. (I just wanted to make sure that no one felt left out.) Do you have iceland poppies and calendulas and other flowers that bloom here in the winter? I'm never sure if things are similar on your continent even though our seasons are reversed. We do have a mediterranean climate though, so I'll bet there's a lot of similarity.

Posted by: Karen Winters at July 26, 2006 1:38 PM