« Ocean Theme ATC - After Hiroshige and Hokusai | Main | Woman Theme ATCs »

-- 10 August, 2006 --

Lamy Ink and Pens

Lamy Ink

There has been a lot of talk about pens on the mailing lists that I regularly read. Everybody has their particular favourite pen and go to great lengths to extol their virtues. The discussion about pens is as fervid as it is for sketchbooks, journals and paper.

Having read someone's writings about Lamy brand pens which are produced in Germany, I was interested to see that our local Officeworks superstore had begun to stock their ink and one pen from the Lamy range. I bought a bottle of red and a bottle of blue ink and the pen, which used cartridges. I used the ink to fill a couple of fountain pens that I had recently purchased through eBay. A feature of the ink bottle that I find very useful is the roll of tear-off strips inside the base of the bottle that is used to wipe the barrel of the pen after it has been refilled.

After using these products for a couple of weeks I am happy with both the ink and the Lamy pen. The ink is very smooth and makes cheap pens have the feel of much more expensive writing tools. The ink is available in a range of colours but it is not waterproof so is not useful for pen and wash work.

My pen wasn't very expensive, at about $35AUS. It has a nice broad tip which is good for achieving a calligraphy style of hand-writing. The ink flows smoothly and immediately. It came with a heavy plastic pouch similar to a small sunglasses case which makes the pen easy to find in the bottom of my handbag. At this price I am not precious about it in case of loosing it or leaving it in a classroom. Maybe, one day, I will chase up one of their more expensive models but right now I am very happy with my Lamy Vista.

Lamy Vista Pen

Posted by robynls at August 10, 2006 9:21 AM

Comments

Got one of these too...love it...they write so lovely and smooth. I have a few different cartridges for it, and an inset for filling from a bottle, along with some lovely brown ink...just the thing for letter writing...

Posted by: Blue at August 11, 2006 8:29 PM

I've got a yellow one, but have been using the Lamy cartridges. I have been planning on getting a refillable cartridge for mine and some ink, mainly because I want it to be waterproof. Looks like I'll be getting some different ink for that purpose. Thanks for a good review.

Posted by: Jan at August 13, 2006 6:29 PM

Hi Robyn .. I found your link through the EDM site. I do love your nice artwork and your creativity, as well as the interesting journal entries that accompany them !! You have inspired me to start experimenting with watercolour pencils and I'm enjoying it immensely. Maybe I will be brave enough soon to post something online? I was interested to see the Lamy pens are available in Sydney and would like to buy a new Vista, like the one you spoke of here. I rang several Officeworks stores in Sydney, but they did not stock the Vista. Could you suggest one particular store I could try ? I have had a Lamy for some years and it is my favourite for writing, as it has a particular 'comfortable feel' and 'writing style' of its own but this new one looks great and I would like to try it out.

Posted by: Rol at August 17, 2006 12:44 PM

I haven't heard of the Vista but I got the Safari recently and love it already. I like how I can feel the paper, maybe because it's not expensive because I've always found pens to be too smooth. As you say, it's not expensive so I'm not precious about it - so it's perfect!

Posted by: Felicity at August 18, 2006 4:15 AM

I have some beautiful pens that write very nicely. I really enjoy writing with them. On the other hand, I type several times faster than I can write. I'm still experimenting with a solution. I wonder how reliable scanning software is for handwriting recognition? That's one potential solution. Sometimes there's no substitute for a pen.
Oh no, I'm not 'spam' :)