« Wet Canvas Scavenger Hunt #3 - glass item | Main | Autumn ATCs »

-- 02 August, 2006 --

Swap-bot addict

Swap-bot addict
Originally uploaded by ** Robyn **.

I remember as a kid I was always very pleased when a letter arrived that was for me. In an attempt to encourage this, I had the occasional pen-pen. Unfortunately, either my pal or I would get sick of it after a 3 or 4 letters. After all, what does a kid really have to say about their lives that is new and interesting. The letters would stop coming and pen-pals become a passing phase.

I still love to go to the letter box and find a letter or a parcel that is addressed to me, especially if it isn't a bill. These days I can encourage that by being an Amazon and eBay nut. That was until last week when, through another blog that I regularly read, I found out about Swap-bot.

Swap-bot is a web site where people who love to swap things go to find or set up a swap. You can swap anything ... Artist Trading Cards (ATCs), letters, postcards, toys ... the list is endless. Most things that are swapped are original and hand made. Each swap is a one off where you might be asked to send one or more thing to one person, or maybe one thing to a number of people. So far I have signed up for swaps of postcards, scrapping embellishments, ATC by the dozen and letters.

The picture here shows a note card that I received this week from a woman in the US. Looks like I am back on the pen-pal trail. Maybe one of the people that I contact this way will become a friend ... or not. It doesn't matter. It is just fun.

Posted by robynls at August 2, 2006 1:45 PM

Comments

How cool - what a pretty card!!
I always had penpals as a kid too - I still write and email Sally my british penpal 24 years later!!

Posted by: Anastasia at August 2, 2006 4:12 PM

I can't remember if I had a pen pal. Autograph books I can remember and wish I still had mine.

Did you see the story of the guy that swapped a red paper clip until he ended up with a house?

Posted by: bb at August 2, 2006 10:11 PM

what a cool link; thanks for sharing

Posted by: AscenderRisesAbove at August 3, 2006 2:29 AM

Robyn,

You found a site that I know I will be visiting and participating in ans I am like you. I like to get mail other than bills. I am homebound a lot due to a chronic illness and I am disabled. So, doing things like this and getting things in the mail is uplifting for me. Thanks for sharing the site with us.

Barb

Posted by: Barb at August 3, 2006 3:04 AM

you ask 'after all, what does a kid really have to say about their lives that is new and interesting.' meaning most kids lead ordinary lives.

So do most adults.You, however have the knack of seeing right into your life and context, and bring out comments,questions and attitudes that I for one would have left unnoticed. AND THERE IS NO AGRANDISEMENT, NO MELODRAMA, NO CAPITAL LETTERS for effect. How do you do it? Alan

Posted by: thepoetofoz at August 3, 2006 9:33 AM