« Floral ATCs | Main | Peace postcard »

-- 27 August, 2006 --

Swap-bot Sparkles

Swap-bot Sparkles
Originally uploaded by ** Robyn **.

Why? Oh, why did I sign up for an ATC swap that asks for things sparkly? I don't do sparkly. Sparkly means I really can't draw or paint and get the effect that is probably expected. It did give me an excuse to go to the Stitches and Craft Show and spend lots of money, though (as if I really need an excuse).

I have now learned to use embossing powder - not terribly well, work with stamps and glitter and how to turn an ordinary piece of gift wrapping paper into a source of inspiration for collage. The only thing that I used here that is an old skill is a Photoshopped background.

I think that I will leave invitations to join in sparkly swaps well and truely alone. In the mean time, I hope my two swap partner will forgive my novice status in these crafty pursuits.

Note : in response to a comment to this entry, I must confess to my method of dealing with the embossing powder. When I realised that the box of the gas room heater didn't get hot enough, it dawned on me that I had a roast in the oven for dinner. I put the cards onto a foil covered baking sheet and popped them into the oven for a couple of minutes. Presto! melted embossing powder. Now does that mean that I have to cook a roast dinner every time I want to use embossing powder?

Posted by robynls at August 27, 2006 7:36 PM

Comments

very funny; though kudos on the embossing powder; i still don't get it.

Posted by: AscenderRisesAbove at August 28, 2006 3:03 AM

I'm so NOT for sparkling things in real. Never understood my sister, who still wears shirts with glistening decors and such..
But your cards are very nice to look at. Maybe because I don't see that sparkling stuff on my monitor :)

Posted by: Renate at August 28, 2006 7:22 AM

Hi Robyn;

Next time you want to emboss something, try using a hair dryer ;) The stamping store will try to sell you a fancy one just for staping enthusiasts, but you already have one kicking around your house, I bet! A hair dryer does exactly the same thing.
I like both of these cards, too!

Posted by: Bonny at August 29, 2006 9:02 AM

I would be very nervous about putting art in the oven to melt!! How brave are you??!

Posted by: AscenderRisesAbove at August 30, 2006 10:02 AM

ps... i happened upon your journeys blog and took a peek at the hubbys site -- and you have just had a poem that was published??? do tell!!

Posted by: AscenderRisesAbove at August 30, 2006 10:12 AM

These turned out great Robyn!
I love my embossing tool - its so cool to watch the powder melt and form a hard shape!

Posted by: Anastasia at August 30, 2006 11:14 AM

I wouldn't put anything to emboss in the oven with your food, in case it contaminates it. Whilst some are certified non-toxic, embossing powder does give off a vapour as it melts. It is a similar situation to using polymer clay, which is also certified non toxic but the fumes from baking should not come into contact with food, nor should any subsequent utensil be used for food use.

By all means melt embossing powder in your oven, but not whilst food is in it. remember to clean your oven afterwards.

Please be careful in your crafting. Better to buy a heat tool.

Posted by: Andy Austin at August 31, 2006 4:02 AM

Re: the hair dryer. A hairdryers may work, on the other hand it may just blow away all your embossing powder. Hair dryers aren't quite as concentrated a heat source for low volume of air displacement as are crafting heat guns.

Posted by: Andy Austin at August 31, 2006 4:05 AM

Love your cards, mainly because I love dragonflies. Didn't see the embossing powder when I went which is probably a good thing as I could have gone mad with all the different crafty things there.

Posted by: Fiona at September 4, 2006 10:32 PM