« Lamy Ink and Pens | Main | Feline Theme ATC Swap »

-- 12 August, 2006 --

Woman Theme ATCs

Woman Theme ATC 1 Woman Theme ATC 2 Woman Theme ATC 3
I am completely enchanted by art making using ATCs so Swap-bot have become an addiction. The design brief for this swap was to produce 3 cards on the theme 'Woman' which included some stamping. After dithering around for a couple of weeks I was inspired to use images of some of the strong women that I have come to know through school.

Not being Catholic, I never had a real understanding of the motivation of the woman who joined converts so I have been captivated by the stories of these dedicated people. The first card, called 'Faith' depicts Mary Ward, the daughter of a wealthy 16th century English family, who risked all to found an order whose objective was, and still is, to educate girls. The second card, 'Hope', shows Mary Gonzaga Barry, also an IBVM nun, who came from Ireland to Australia in the 19th century to set up schools here. The last card, 'Charity', is Mary MacKillop, who was also an educator, dedicated to the poor and is destined to be Australia's first saint.

The cards each have a different background created using Photoshop. The images of the women are sticky tape transfers produced using the method describe by Melanie and Misty here on Inspire Me Thursday. The lettering is done using a set of alphabet stamps. Finally the whole card is covered with white tissue paper glued to the surface with the area over the transfer scraped away.

It is fun to learn new techniques.

Posted by robynls at August 12, 2006 10:59 AM

Comments

Robyn those are beautiful and thank you for the information on the women and your creation.

btw I'm using my friends laptop up here in Oregon and I think of you and sketching when I see these wind blown trees!

Posted by: Bonnie at August 13, 2006 1:21 AM

These are fascinating. I was brought up a Catholic, in a long tradition of Catholics [my family numbers many nuns, monks, and even a Bishop in it's not too distant history. I went to a convent until the age of 10, so know nuns on a personal level. My family still has two strong catholic womens, my mother, and my eldest sister. They are kind, generous, and forgiving. A fine example to them all. My own spirituality has it's own path, which is Zen Buddhism.

Your work Rob, is a delight, to wathc you grow as an artist is a pleasure, and to see this work is a treat...

Posted by: Blue at August 13, 2006 1:56 AM

We use to call these "thumbnails", now they have been turned into an art form. Wonderful exploration Robyn. It would be fun to see you take some larger one day.

Posted by: Robin N at August 13, 2006 5:54 AM

As an IT person, a thumbnail has more relevance to me when in association with digital graphics. ATCs are actually an art form in their own right and were never intended as practice for a larger piece. If anything, they are rather like business cards for the artist who made them.

To be honest with you, I don't really feel drawn to larger work. I actually enjoy the smaller scale support. If my sight was still what it was, I think that I would enjoy having a go at minatures.

Posted by: Robyn [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 13, 2006 6:24 PM

These are really beautiful Robyn! glad you are enjoying doing the ATCs - they are very good!

Posted by: Anastasia at August 14, 2006 7:28 PM

Hi, I received those wonderful ATCS Woman. Thanks so much for all of the history about these cards. I tried to send you an email but it wouldnt go through. Please send me your email address.

Posted by: Lottie Storey at August 21, 2006 4:11 AM