« No Evil ATC | Main | Text ATC swap »

-- 08 September, 2006 --

Enso Meg

Enso Meg
Originally uploaded by ** Robyn **.

Our local stationers often have a market stall in an open space in the mall. At the last sale I picked up some Mont Marte Gel Pastels. The word 'pastels' pricked my curiosity and they were only $4.95 for a box of 6. They turned out to be a sort of very soft crayon-like medium in a plastic holder that twists up like a lipstick tube. They are really more like a child's toy but might be fun to play with.

One of the pictures that we saw at the recent exhibition of Zen Brush paintings that we saw at the Art Gallery of NSW was a style called an enso. An example can be seen here. This experiment with the gel pastels on Fabriano Quadrato Artist's Journal paper is my kitten, Meg. It is a bit like a Zen Circle.

Posted by robynls at September 8, 2006 10:03 PM

Comments

Love your cat but was at a loss for the example that looked to me like someone simply dragged their brush in a circle.

Posted by: bb at September 9, 2006 12:29 AM

I like this cat.
Especially, eyes :.
Because something seems to be told.

kuriyama

Posted by: kuriyama at September 9, 2006 12:56 AM

Exactly, Bonnie. You have to switch your way of thinking to Zen. It is well worth doing a little research on this topic.

Posted by: Robyn [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2006 2:19 PM

I love this! obviously those 'pastels' were an inspiration to you Rob...who knows what would happen if we let you loose in an art store? a big bill perhaps...then loads of inspiration, so worth it...it seems you can make art with anything...

Posted by: Blue . [TypeKey Profile Page] at September 9, 2006 5:07 PM

Love your cat!You will have great fun with pastels -they're so versatile. Really worth trying are the water-soluble oil pastels, I love them!

Posted by: Jilly in Newcastle at September 10, 2006 9:11 AM