« Widdicombe-in-the-Moor | Main | Fingers crossed ... »

-- 25 February, 2007 --

Spammer mayhem!

Although my Movabletype spam filters are working well to keep the amount of spam that actually appears on my blog to a minimum, I still have to deal with all of the rubbish that ends up in the unpublished basket. The weekends seem to be the worst. I can get as many as 300 spam messages a day on Saturday and Sunday along with the dozens a day through the rest of the week.

My usual approach, after deleting all the spammy notices from my email inbox and sending a personal thank you to the occasional genuine comment, is to head off to my Comments control page and set the filter to 'Unpublished'. The spam filter sets comments it recognises as spam to 'Unpublished'.

The listing is set to display 125 entries at a time, which makes 'Select All' deleting a quick method of getting rid of the spam.

Until today, this didn't cause any problems ... and then I got careless ...

This morning, my email inbox was just chockers with notifications of comments so I began, what I thought, was the routine. 'Select All' - 'Delete' and off went the first 125 spam comments to the big bit bucket in the sky. The redrawn screen showed yet more unpublished comments so off I went again ... 'Select All' - 'Delete'. The screen redraw and ... up to the top of the list came a 'Published' comment. They weren't supposed to be visible!

I had forgotten to filter the list to only show 'Unpublished'.

Along with the grotty little spam comments, off to comment heaven went nice words from my dear e-friends.

I can only say that I am really lucky that I didn't have the list displaying 'All Comments' as I did a couple of months ago or I would have lost them all.

I HATE SPAMMERS!!!!!!!!

lchou.jpg

Posted by robynls at February 25, 2007 1:27 PM

Comments

Boy, do I know what you mean. It's one of the reasons I took my Guest Book off my page. Now the spammers are hitting my comments section. Grrrr.

Posted by: mz. em at February 25, 2007 2:08 PM

what a shame :( we'll all be back to fill your lists up again (with non-spam comments of course :D )! I wonder what the benefit is since we all consistently delete all their messages and I'm sure no soul in their right minds is going to want to click on them. I use Blogger and Wordpress for my blogs and I havent found a spam comment email in my Inbox in a long long time. Wordpress saves them on a seperate page and deletes them routinely.

Posted by: Ujwala at February 25, 2007 4:42 PM

So sorry to hear all the trouble you've had. I was getting spam in my old guestbook at Diaryland too for a long time. I notified the administrator to no avail, so I just deleted the link to the gb, and only kept comments. but now i've gone to wordpress and so far (touch wood) haven't had trouble there yet with spammers. They are the blight of the E-world!

Posted by: Bex at February 25, 2007 11:03 PM

Guess I'm fortunate. Not even popular enough for spammers. Good thing because Halo scan doesn't make it easy to even delete a nasty comment.

Posted by: bb at February 26, 2007 11:25 AM

In an effort to ease the pain with spam comments, I have installed a new MT plugin that is supposed to stop auto insertion of comments by spammers. Wish me luck!

Posted by: Robyn [TypeKey Profile Page] at February 26, 2007 8:42 PM