« Glastonbury Abbey | Main | Cathedral Mosaic »

-- 26 March, 2008 --

No flash, please

No flash, please
Originally uploaded by ** Robyn **.
I went to the Art Gallery of New South Wales this evening for my usual Wednesday evening lecture on art history. I took my new camera and, since I was earlier than usual, I looked around for something to photograph. The Asian gallery reminded me of long ago trips to Thailand so I pulled out the camera to take some shots.

As soon as the flash went off, the guard was on me. "Can you try to stop the flash from popping up", he said.

I'm still wondering what harm the light was going to do to this head that has probably been exposed to the elements for a few hundred years.

Posted by robynls at March 26, 2008 9:48 PM

Comments

My camera is easy to set to no flash and suprisingly I have had many good shots without it.

I'm sure there is a reason lights damage, and we know hands do and I'm sure it was handled a bit in those years too.

Posted by: bonnie at March 27, 2008 1:59 AM

Better pictures can be taken without flash. Get the camera to no flash and aperture ("A" setting) or speed ("S" setting ) preferred and the picture will be more "natural looking".

In aperture mode, you set the aperture of the lens and the speed will match the apperture automatically, to take a picture at the optimum setting in accordance with the ASA you selected. No flash

I usually set ASA to "auto" or the highest possible. That is 400 in my day-to-day camera, Olympus.

For example:

Taken without flash auto mode.

Posted by: Anangeli at March 27, 2008 5:37 AM

i agree with Anangeli - i prefer not using my flash...
did you see the ARchibald exhibit? i hope to go next week!

Posted by: Anastasia at March 29, 2008 12:12 PM

Most pictures are best taken without the flash. Flash which is not controlled makes a photo look amateurish. Your camera probably has a MANUAL setting. Try using it.

Nice photos. And Happy Mother's day

Posted by: Nidia at May 12, 2008 6:41 AM

Dear Nidia,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog and for offering your expertise.
The photograph was actually taken in natural light, not with a flash.

Posted by: Robyn Smith at May 12, 2008 7:55 AM