« Oh, dear | Main | The Pantheon »

-- 20 November, 2008 --

Overstimulated

The one thing that keeps an exam marker going is coffee ... copius amounts of very strong coffee. Two weeks of 13 hour daze, 4 of them from 4pm until 9pm at night (with an hour off for refueling) after a day at the 'coal face' lead to very tired people. The wall comes looming at about 6pm and that is when the coffee starts to be really important. Stay awake, alert and concentrating on writing that sometimes would put an ant with muddy feet to shame. Stay awake, stay alert, concentrate and have another cup of coffee.

9pm arrives and it is time to go home. Arriving as the crime time TV show starts but too tired to care who dun it! To bed and try to sleep but that's when the coffee becomes your mortal enemy because you are too wired to go off for more than half an hour at at time. Tomorrow you have to get up and do it all over again but now even more tired because of the lack of sleep!

Soon it will be all over and life can go back to what masquarades as normal. It is a year until the next big exam time and the cycle starts again.

Posted by robynls at November 20, 2008 10:36 AM

Comments

Sounds exhausting! I imagine it would be a buzz to come across those eloquent writers who 'know their stuff'.
Maybe you should talk to Jos and get the lowdown on power-napping, he is quite the expert in this field.

Posted by: Gail at November 20, 2008 12:21 PM

ohhh its that time of the year huh? two of andrew's nieces just finished their HSC...now the wait is on!!

Posted by: anastasia at November 21, 2008 9:09 PM

I have to drink decaf, so this sure wouldn't keep me going. :-)

Posted by: bonnie at November 22, 2008 11:51 AM

Hello there Robin,
I coresponded with you some time ago regarding our mutual ancestor John Charles Wilson born in Bergen,Prussia.
You were able to give me a jpg of a portrait of him and his wife Harriet which I have lost.
Any chance you would mind emailing me another?Id certainly appreciate it.
I would also love to hear if you had any further luck finding out any other information.I did some digging and found an earlier ancestor on Hariett's side named Athanasius Carrington born in the early 1600's.
Hope to hear from you in the near future,
Christopher(grandson of Edward Wilson,Great-granson of Percival Hector Wilson)

Posted by: Christopher at November 25, 2008 8:31 PM

Reminds me of how glad I am to be retired!!

Hope your summer will be great! When is school out?

Posted by: Sioux at November 30, 2008 7:47 AM